Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 AM
Ann

(paghat) expounded:

Hosta plantagninea has a boring spike of flowers that if you planted
enough of them in deep shade would scent up the joint for a short time; I
don't think any other genus of hosta is seriously scented; there are
several cultivars of H. plantagninea but if growers were honest they're
all pretty much the same, certainly the same in terms of the boring stalk
of blooms.

You would think wrong. I've got several extremely sweet scented
hostas out there, Honeybells is the one that comes to mind, but there
are others. Nor are the blooms all boring, some are quite intricately
patterned. I've got over 40 varieties out there and not one of them
in boring. They're also not in deep shade, that's another
misconception.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts