Old 09-04-2005, 02:26 AM
~Roy~

I Have a 1+ acre natural pond, with lots of oak trees and pine trees,
and a few willows and cypress......Its also 21+ fet deep in the
middle...Other than pulling out limbs etc that are easy to get to I
leave whats in it there. 2 times a year I do a PP treatment and it
cleans up a lot of the decayed matter and does a very respectable job
of housecleaning a pond that would be otherwise next to impossible to
clean up. Since I am retired, I have time on my hands, so a lot of
time i walk around the edges with a long handled skimmer net and
remove floating items.........a little at a time and it all adds up,
along with a PP treatment 2 times a year. You can get by better with
more water volume and a natural bottom with debri (up to a certain
point) than you can with a liner type pond with less water
quanity......

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:41:17 -0400, "Ridge Roofing, Inc."
wrote:

===On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:59:17 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
===
==="ScrubsFan" wrote in message
.earthlink.net...
=== Is it a good or bad idea to let leaves that fall into my pond decompose?
=== It's a pre-fab pond that holds about 80 gallons (if I remember correctly)
=== and is 24-30" deep.
===
=== If it is a good idea, is there some general rule of thumb as to how deep
=== to let the layer at the bottom of the pond get before doing some
=== housecleaning?
===
=== I do not currently have any fish in the pond but am considering getting
=== some.
===
===
===You will never find the kind of fish we put in a ponds living in a natural
===80 gal pond. At best youll find a few minnows, rotting leaves at the bottom
===will contribute to the pond turning green, and giving that authentic pond
===smell. If you just net the leaves out reguarly while they float on the
===surface it's much easier.
===
===
===
===Any suggestions for larger ponds? My pond is about 1/4 acre and in the
===woods. each year there are a LOT of leaves that fall into it. Some
===float off at the overflow but many do not.