Old 08-04-2005, 10:15 PM
WRabbit

Kay wrote:
In article , w.g.s.hamm
writes
Failing that, how about a rambling or climbing rose? One of my
favourites is 'masquerade' which has loads of blooms which start out
deep red and then seem to change colour from pinkish to yellowish.

Other way round! Yellow in bud, then pink, and red as they are going
over.

One of the two roses I had in my 'garden' when I was a kid.

Thanks for the thoughts - I'd considered roses, but had decided my
greenthumbs would probably not cope with them (I certainly am more thumbs
than fingers at the moment). I need to look at them more closely. My main
experience with roses was the more formal type rather than the lovely
rambler that Masquerade looks. It would possibly work quite well at a
particular spot in the fence - where the brambles poke through.

As for supports I'd not thought about using chain swags. I don't think
wooden trellising would work with the way the fence is (and it would make
the fence more susceptible to the winter winds).

Now if only the garden looked as good in reality as it does in my head!