Old 09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
Jeff

Right now I'm looking at the 2500 series with the shaft drive, probably the
2544. The more I look at the brochure, the more little, subtle differences
I see that make my head spin. For example, the 2544 has an 11 gauge 44 inch
deck, the 2550 has a 12 gauge 50 inch deck, and the 2554 has an 11 gauge 54
inch deck. Unless it's a typo, I can't figure out why the deck on the 50
inch would be thinner gauge.

Do you think the 3000 series is comparable to the Deere LX280, which is
probably my choice if I go with Deere. (I just don't think I need a
shaft-drive deck which costs plenty extra, right?)

By the way, I agree with your comment about synthetic oil. I do it on my
Ariens snow blower as well and my current rider, a little Honda 11 hp.

"Ron B" wrote in message
On 3/31/05 10:42 PM, in article , "Jeff"
wrote:3/31/05 10:42 PM

Hi, I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the Cub and Deere
models
sold at Home Depot are the bottom feeders?

"op4_camper" wrote in message
Deere is available at Home
Depot, the Cub at Lowes. I'm primarily interested in durability and
reliability.

Sorry they don't go together.... for that you have to try a different
store. They are the bottom feeders of there equipment line

IMHO, as for a Cub, you need to look at 3000 series machines for truly
durable machines. I would also recommend using synthetic oils after the
break in of about 10 hours of initial use.

I also use MotorKote in my Cub 3235, but this is just a suggestion that
you
may take for what it is worth.

Many others will say that synthetic oils are only marketing, but research
it
and decide for yourself if a few dollars more are worth protecting your
investment.