Old 09-04-2005, 03:49 AM

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:44:11 -0700, Timothy
wrote:

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 23:44:48 +0000, Suzie-Q wrote:

I want to create a raised flower bed. Is there a way to figure out how
much dirt I will need?

I want the flower bed to be relatively circular, about six feet in
diameter, and about six inches deep.

Is there some way to get this dirt without buying a bunch of bags of dirt?
In other words, if I go to a nursery or somewhere else, is there someone
who will deliver the amount of dirt I want?

Thanks in advance.

A yard will cover 108 square feet at 3" deep. A cubic yard is 27 cubic
feet. If you were buying bags of dirt and the bags were 2 cubic feet, then
you would need 14 bags.

Most soil suppliers will deliver for a fee and sell in cubic yards. With
all things in life though, they won't bring you a cubic yard though, it
will be under a bit over over a bit. They just dump it in the truck and go.

You can borrow/rent a full size truck and it will carry a yard.

Good luck to you.

The formula to determine the volume of a cylinder is:
Pi * (Radius squared) * height = 3.14 * (3 * 3) * .5 = 14.14 cubic
feet.

That's a little more then half a cubic yard. Don't know that they
sell half yards, but I've never tried. If that's all I needed, I'd
probably just buy 5 3 cubic foot bags, but if you can pick it up
yourself it may be cheaper to buy by the yard. I'm sure you can
probably put the rest to use somewhere. The soil will also compact
and settle somewhat, especially after the first heavy rain, so you may
need a little more then the original estimate.

Swyck