Old 09-04-2005, 05:57 PM
Don Walker

Nina,

Are you the Nina Shishkoff, plant pathologist from the LIHRL, that wrote
"Using Fungicides to Control Bonsai Diseases" at:
http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/fungicid.htm?

That article talks about using "An ERADICANT" to "...kill fungi that
have already invaded the plant." Later in the article several
fungicides are mentioned, including Fosetyl-A1 and Metalaxyl for water
molds and thiophanate methyl for other fungi, but fails to distinguish
if these are systemic fungicides or eradicants.

Has more recent work invalidated portions of that article? Would
sustained, judicial, treatment of all three types of fungicides
(protectant, systemic, and eradicant) not slow or halt progression of
the infection allowing more time in which to perform repots and
continued isolation and removal of the infected tissue.

I've also read that the use of thiophanate methyl will affect the
mycorrhizal fungi. Should new colonies be introduced after any use of
this fungicide?

This tree was a gift from my wife and it was immediately obvious that
the organics in the soil had broken down and the soil compacted. I
repotted the tree but the only soil I had available was shohin soil -
low organic and free draining but the particle size could have been
larger. The roots looked a little thin but otherwise ok at that time.
I trimmed them back to about half their length - about 18", still too
long but I was considering the overall quantity of roots tips and
figured I could adjust at the next potting - then treated with rooting
hormone to increase root mass near the base.

That was several months ago and now I'm getting suspicious that the tree
may have root rot. I've had a couple of limbs die and while I'm getting
new growth the old growth seems to be suffering. I'm planning to repot
to an inorganic soil (lava) of the appropriate particle size and want to
be prepared for what I find.

Thanks,
Don