Old 09-04-2005, 05:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]
That brings us to the usenet archive at www.groups/google, which

is
free and open to everyone. Try out the search facility there, and

you'll
realise what a feeble farce passes for so-called "archives" at
gardenbanter. In the same place, you'll find a great deal of "help"

info
about usenet groups and posting.

You can also use GG to post messages: it's much better than it used to
be for that, and you may like to try it out. (I'm using it just now,
but will move to another when I have the energy.) BUT, and a big "but",
if you want to reply through GG, don't click Reply. Instead, click
Show options and then use the Reply on the left under the header.

Why? Because their direct Reply doesn't work properly: it doesn't
give tell your readers which message you're responding to. The Show
options route gives you a reply form including that message, which you
can snip to the most relevant bit. I did that just now, using "[...]"
to indicate that I wasn't quoting Janet's whole posting.

Let us know if you have any problems. You'll get a friendly answer,
even if you think it may seem elementary: we've all been there.

--
Mike.