Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM
Bioboffin

I suppose it's worth mentioning that the URL links to a site which
expects the chemical to be used, among other things, on American
_poison ivy_, not real ivy. It'll still kill real ivy, of course; but
it's possible to justify far more brutal measures for poison ivy than
we might think necessary for poor old _hedera_.

I think some energetic hand-treatment and conceivably some glyphosate
if really necessary would normally be enough.

As glyphosate is absorbed through the leaves, and older ivy leaves have a
thickish waxy cuticle, they are unlikely to be affected. Younger leaves
could be treated with glyphosate, but as you say, hand removal (possibly
followed by glyphosate on the regrowth) would be most effective.

There is a good treatment of the subject he

http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0702/ivy.asp

John.