Old 09-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Phil L

Paddy wrote:
:: Hi
:: I have taken over an allotment which has not been dug for at least
:: two years. London, so the earth has a fair amount of clay, hence
:: large clumps of earth hard to break up.
:: I was wondering if something like a garden claw might make the task
:: easier. At present we are struggling with forks.
:: Thanks for any feedback.
:: Paul.

The claw is OK for loose sandy soil, and even then only the top 2 - 3
inches...pretty much does what a hoe would do - just loosen the surface and
keep small weeds from getting a hold if done weekly....the only difference
between using a claw and a hoe for this is a hoe can be used at almost any
angle, a claw has to be stabbed from above, making it next to useless.

You can hire a large rotorvator either for a day or a weekend and go over it
a couple of times, but be warned - if you have lots of weeds like docks,
thistles and dandelions, they will multiply by about a thousand if you use a
rotorvator before killing the roots, each small piece of root will form a
new weed, my advice would be to do what Brian says WRT to a good dose of
'roundup' now and again in ten days time, leave it for another week after
the second treatment for all of the roots to be killed and rotorvate.

They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country
and our people, and neither do we."
- George W. Bush, 5.8.2004