Old 10-04-2005, 02:08 AM
simy1

salad, but I grow also the elongated ones which, grilled, are divine.
They make an excellent salad all by themselves, specially considering
that I grow the red ones, but also speckled, lime and dark green. Keep
in mind that from november to april the garden here yields only
radicchio, kale and collard, and I don't particularly like the last
two. Radicchio is also one of the few veggies my daughter will eat, and
my wife loves it. I make substantially smaller heads than those you
buy, I don't fertilize or water them, and I plant them in my shadier
beds or in between main crops, such as under tomatoes. Their tap root
is long enough that they can scavenge whatever gets under the tomatoes,
I guess. They are also really very good at conditioning the soil, the
taproot composts really fast and basically deposits organic matter down
to five or six feet below.