Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Our setup has 3 full 55 gal barrels (upflow) in the berm, four ponds for
sedimentation and two waterfalls for the returns. We have run water
hyacinth, water celery, mint, parrotts feather and anacharis in various
combinations to grab nutrients. The hyacinth and celery seem to grow
the best and to send great root systems. The watercress is best in the
cold and gets wiped out in the summer. Our pondsite (below) shows you
the layout. Slow flow through the veggie filter with roots drops out
the muck. Rocks and lava rock did not help and became a huge pain to clean.

If you can daisy chain the ponds and barrels, you won't nee much
pumping. Our setup has a total of 4,000 gals and runs on a pump that
pushes 2,000per hour.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at:
jogathon.net

WVNebJockey wrote:
OK, I have a question.

I have 3 small preformed ponds. Yes preformed. I'm in the middle of moving
them and reconfiguring them to out of sight/touch of the grandkids.

Anyway... I have a 90, 125 and 250 gal ponds. I have 3 bioforce 250/UV
filters and adequat pumpage (I've got pumps out the wazoo..) Here is my
idea. I have 3 55gal plastic drums. I'm thinking of cutting them in half
and doing a modified "skippy" filter approach. I was wondering if I could
use a layer of lava rock instead of the scotchbright pads.

I have a link to the photo here
http://www.ccems.org/images/veggie_filter.jpg

What do I plant in the top? What do I plant the plants in?

I'm a veggie newbie.