Old 10-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Brent Walston

Jim Lewis wrote:

I need to add that your tree may NOT have root rot if you took a
considerable amount of root of your Texas ebony.

I find that these trees tend to sulk for a considerable time after
extensive chopping of roots. So unless you lift it from the pot and
find black smelly roots, I'd just watch your watering (they'd rather
be dry than wet) and wait.

Good advice and observation Jim.

Let me first declare that I am not a plant pathologist although I play
one at the nursery a LOT. So Nina may want to chime in here and correct
me. Not long ago this issue came up in the Bonsaisite forum and this was
part of my answer:

Finally there is one point I want to clear up that is almost universally
misunderstood in the bonsai (and gardening) world. 'Rot' in heartwood,
live stem and root tissue, and root heartwood, comes in two flavors,
pathogenic, and non pathogenic. Non pathogenic fungi cause the common
everyday process of composting. It actually consists of fungi, bacteria,
and other microorganism (even some macro animals). These organisms eat
DEAD tissue.

Pathogenic fungi and bacteria only eat LIVE tissue, although some fungi
that start out as composters can, in some extraordinary cases, convert
to a pathogenic form. Most of what we think of as 'root rot' is NON
pathogenic, that is, it is the composting of already dead tissue. Yes, I
know, you wash off the roots and there is all this DEAD mushy black root
tissue, and it's seemingly growing! The composting will continue moving
into the already DEAD tissue. What killed it then? In 99 cases out of
100 that I see, the cause of the death is not pathogenic fungi, but
rather environmental conditions, namely anaerobic conditions (too much
water, too little air). The roots cannot tolerate these conditions and die.

This is actually GOOD root rot, because it is easily reversible, just by
correcting the environmental conditions. There are no pathogens to
control or eliminate (good luck!). There is no need to sterilize the
roots, the soil, pots , etc. In fact it is often counterproductive
because you will eliminate all the BENEFICIAL fungi and microorganisms
as well. It is especially wasteful and dangerous to use fungicides,
since they are made to destroy pathogenic fungi, but in most cases, they
are broad spectrum and will kill nearly ALL fungi, pathogenic and
beneficial. I have reversed THOUSANDS of cases of 'root rot' by simply
washing the roots clean, repotting in fresh soil, and optimizing the
growing conditions.

Pathogenic root rot is different and is limited to a very tight set of
conditions and a few (usually) species. Because of this, they are
usually seasonally dependent as well (wet spring weather for example).
Pathogenic fungi and bacteria actually KILLS LIVE tissue as it feeds off
it, and also often blocks the vascular tissue with its mass and by
products, killing other live, uninfected tissue by dehydration (wilts).
After this tissue is killed by the pathogen, non pathogenic composters
will move in and 'rot' the tissue.

What difference does it make? A lot. You can pretty much ignore non
pathogenic fungi after correcting environmental conditions. Treating and
controlling pathogenic fungi is extremely difficult and correcting or
altering the environmental conditions is just the beginning. It is also
INFECTIOUS. Fungicides can play a role in controlling it, but changing
the environment is the most important part. In most cases, it is the
plant itself that will effect the control by shedding parts of itself or
walling off the disease. How do tell the difference? This CAN be most
difficult, and often requires an expert. County Ag extension agents are
trained in this (pathology) and their sub agents or Master Gardeners may
be able to help. The only real way to find out definitively is to submit
samples to a plant pathologist, but by then it is usually too late for a
specific plant. This usually cost money. There used to be many free
university sources, but as FEDERAL funding for this is drying up, most
of us have to pay for this now, including farmers. So consider that
while you are mulling over your political opinions.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++