Old 11-04-2005, 12:52 AM
Charles

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:28:24 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

Will this work? I'm in zone 7, e.TN. If I bought some ginger root at
the grocery, how could I grow this in my shade garden? I was thinking
about taking a 2" piece, coat it with rooting hormone powder, and
putting it into moist vermiculite. Has anyone tried this? Will this
work? I see lots of wild ginger in the parks, but it is illegal to
dig up plant material there.

In addition to what Paul said, some store ginger has been treated so
that it doesn't sprout. The ginger sold as food isn't very attractive
when in growth anyway, better to get an ornamental.

some good info at:

http://www.gingerwoodnursery.com/index.php

--
Charles