Old 11-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Stephen Henning

"James" wrote:

In the Spring of each year, I put down a weed and feed product. I have
many Azalea beds. Some years they bloom well, others they don't. I try to
fertilize them separately with a product formulated for them.

It has occurred to me that when I fertilize my lawn with weed and feed, I go
up adjacent to my azalea beds. These are very old azaleas (25 years), so I
guess their roots extend out quite a bit.

The nitrogen of the fertilizer and the weed killer both can be a
problem. I wouldn't use the produce within a couple yards, more if
there is a slope and you are applying uphill from the azaleas. Azaleas
have shallow roots and are very sensitive to anything on the surface or
that is washed by rain or irrigation. Atrazine remains active for up to
six months so it is a real potential problem.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6