View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 11-04-2005, 01:06 PM

First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Apr 2005
Default A clean slate.... or at least how to get there!

Hello guys... while i'm technically a beginner I spent mayt a year watching and helping my dad produce an excellent garden from a very 'natural' garden so i should be ok for most techniques.

OK, heres my position:
I inherited a house from my beloved grandad and because he wasnt very mobile he couldnt maintain it. Since then its been left for about a year. I would like to say its all overgrown but basically its just wasteland. Its a pretty big garden so i expect i'll have my work cut out but next weekend i'm planning a blitz on it to get it into some kind of order.

What I want is a clean slate... a blank canvas to work from. I have an exact idea of what i want the garden to be so i need a pointer from where to start.

I want to kill everything... just so theres not one living thing in the garden so i can start from an absolute scratch. I was in homebase on my lunch and saw some total weed killer (weedol i think) which will kill everything but wont halm the soil and you can plant there after a week or so.

Now, my garden is VERY uneven and i first want to level it all of to one flat area. Once its clear of all living plants/weeds then i will dig it all up and rate the thoroughly to level it all and create a base for things to work from. I will be having 2 ponds and such in there so i'll dig out a large area for this (Hoping that this will take up a large area making it more self suficient)

Thats it so far... does that sound ok? Is there anything i should be aware of? I will be laying a new lawn from scratch as the current one is apauling and i want a nic flat lawn.

Lee