Old 11-04-2005, 11:53 PM
John Savage

"China" writes:
G'day John,
What can I say? Oh that's it, flattery will get you
everywhere!

It hasn't yet! LOL

Does this climber have a stem about as thick as your thumb, with light
coloured, papery bark and thorns?

No thorns. The bark is like light-coloured cork. I've now identifed the
plant as one of the pipe vines, related to the Dutchmans Pipe vine and I
reckon it's possibly the Calico Flower. The reason the flower reminds me
of a fly trap is that it really is a fly trap. I've been reading that the
flower has a nasty smell that attracts flies, then hairs inside the flower
imprison the fly for a few minutes before the hairs relax and allow the
now pollen-dusted fly to escape to pollinate other flowers.

So -- sorry, no prizes this time for Canton, but thank you for playing!