Old 12-04-2005, 01:45 AM
David

Chris,
I've read in more than one place that it is actually *preferable* to
have the pipe run uphill. This way, if there is any gas buildup in
the line, it will move with the flow rather than possibly impeding it.

Regarding sediment buildup, you should have a valve in this line,
(with the handle extended via standpipe up to the surface) so that you
can isolate the BD from the filter. Then pump down the filter, which
will leave a large head pressure differential between the pond and the
filter. Then open the valve, which will blast out any collected
sediment. A couple of trials should give you a good indication of how
much head differential is necessary to do the job.

Finally, in the unlikely event that you will ever need to do so, if
the pipe slopes uphill it will be easier to run a snake down in there
from the filter side to unclog it.

Cheers, David

On 11 Apr 2005 09:17:00 -0700, "Chris" wrote:

I'm about to start excavating a pond 4' deep with a 55 gal drum filter
(drums 3' high; jj's design). One nagging doubt I have is about the
pipe from the bottom drain to the filter. It'll have to run uphill at
least 1.5' in order to enter the filter. Seems to me that with enough
flow I shouldn't have problems with the pipe clogging, but I'd feel
better about it if the pipe ran down rather than up.

I've considered constructing an extra deep drum from two drums so the
bottom of the drum is below the bottom of the pond, but perhaps this
isn't necessary.

Any opinions?

Chris