Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 AM
Alan Walker

I should probably stand by and let the experts run this
one, but fools rush in....
Who said that the heat kills only the bad things? Truth
be told, I suspect that some of both survive and most of both are
cooked.
But that misses the bigger point. Dealing with root rot
is a matter of prevention. Keeping a healthy tree in coarse, well
draining soil with good aeration and nutrition are the way to go.
A really healthy tree is not going to have a problem with these
nasties in the first place. It's only when we ignore or neglect
what we know about good horticulture that we have to deal with
root rot in the first place.
I should know. I've been guilty often enough myself more
times than I'm comfortable acknowledging.
Alan Walker