Old 12-04-2005, 06:41 AM
Jim Trahan

Alan,

I hear you about "fools rush in"! But I am very intrested in this point
about the compost teas.

Austin is very big on organics, and many nurseries are selling freshly
brewed compost teas at $7/gal. It's being praised by a local garden guru
as the very grail of gardening. This guru also promotes "paramagnetism"
for more vigorous roots. So when he hands me Kool-Aid, I don't drink it;
and when he pitches me compost tea, despite his beautiful plants, I'm
reluctant to use it. And now I hear that the good stuff in compost can
turn bad when give the chance.

I recognize that it is largely a matter of hygiene, but not all of the
plants in my collection have had good sub-surface hygiene before coming to
my bench. In other words, many of my trees are in various stages of good
potting culture, despite my best efforts.

I'm just curious to know if this aerobiclly brewed compost tea people are
selling is potentially dangerous.

Cheers,
Jim

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++