Old 12-04-2005, 05:41 AM
Elaine T

~ jan JJsPond.us wrote:
"Elaine T" wrote in message

*sigh* The saga continues. The second shubunkan squeezed through the
grate as well so both were in the bottom barrel this morning when I fed.
I didn't have time to do anything about it. This afternoon, I came
home to ... you guessed it. Another crispy, dried out fish. *sniffle*
I've had it. That one aggressive shubunkan can stay alone until I
figure out a foolproof way to keep fish out of the spillways and in the
barrel.

Elaine, try fantail goldfish next time. ~ jan

~Power to the Porg, Flow On!~

*sigh* I wish I liked fantails. No offense meant to fancy goldfish
fans, but double tailed fish look like mutants to me. I'm not fond of
double tailed bettas either.

However, I did what George suggested and changed half the water. Then I
started filtration over Chemi-pure since none of the usual water tests
indicated any sort of biofiltration problem. After a couple of days of
my last shubunkan staying in the water I bought two more fish (for a
total of 3 shubunkans).

One jumped again, but I found him in time. Next I turned the pump way
down on Carol's suggestion. I thought that was the answer but the same
fish jumped again, and I rescued him again. Finally, now that there's
been chemical filtration for a week or so, the shubunkans are staying in
the pond.

I have no idea what was in that water, but George's guess that it was
something irritating may have been right. Maybe it was a garden
chemical (my landlord has gardeners handle the yard), or something that
the rain brought down. Maybe even outgassing chemicals from new pond
liner or the small amounts of fishtank silicone and reeftank epoxy I
used in the spillways. I have no idea. Anyway, between George and
Carol the current is more appropriate, water is better, and I haven't
had a jumper in a few days so I'm very hopeful.

--
__ Elaine T __
__' http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__