Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Cindy

You are far better off planting hardwood trees which grow moderately, than
fast
growing trees. I have planted some trees on our property in conjunction
with
the native Live Oaks. They a

Chinese pistache
Texas redbud
Peach 'Dixieland' which grows very fast and bears delicious fruit
Ginkgo biloba
Vitex castus agnus
Burr oak
Parkinsonia aka palo verde (very loose tree, not dense shade by very rapid
growth)
Little leaf sumac
Flameleaf sumac

Thank you for the list. I was considering getting a paulownia until I read
the part about wilting. It gets SO hot and SO dry here (Houston area) in
late summer that it might not be a good choice. I'm going to have to look
harder for a native plant nursery in this area.

I put a Chinese pistachio out front. I like the tree, but it still hasn't
leafed out, while all the live oaks and such are green and pretty. Might
not have been the best choice for the front yard.

Another tree I've been wondering about is the Chinese parasol tree (Firmiana
simplex or platanifolia.) It's categorized as a tropical or tender
perennial. Has anyone tried one? I'm planting mine in the front side yard
where it stays a lot warmer and doesn't get the cold winds in winter in hope
that it will survive.

Cindy