Old 12-04-2005, 05:56 PM
paghat

In article , (Will Renkel) wrote:

Do "coral belles" grow in a dense shade area?

There are so many varieties & hybrids some probably do, & they are often
listed as suited for full shade, but my experience with several varieties
is that in general, not as interesting for full shade as so often alleged.
I've tried several in full shade, they always "held on" but were ugly or
uninteresting until I caved in & moved them to somewhat sunnier spots.

Half of my back yard is treed, and I am looking for something with color
to grow under the trees.

Color in shady areas: White & blue English bluebells; grape hyacinth;
hardy cyclamens; red, white, or pink Camellia sasanqua; climbing
hydrangea; 'Purple Splendor' azalea, 'Poukhahense' Korean Azalea;
Rhododendren occidentale; trilliums; 'Pagoda' dogtooth lily; Douglas Iris;
johnny-jump-ups; Labradore violet; brunnera; bleedinghearts; impatiens,
pansies, lobelia, columbine, meadow rue, blue panda & purple prince
corydalis, lamium, Jacob's ladder, lily-of-the-valley, pulmonaria,
liverwort, toad lilies, bishop's hats, tiny wood anemones, huge Japanese
anemones, bugbane, forget-me-nots, gentian, ligularia, virginia bluebells,
.. Some ferns also provide color: purple-leafed Japanese painted fern;
pallid Ghost Fern; yellow-striped Indian Holly Fern; sloppy spring-red
Autumn Fern.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he