Old 12-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"BAC" writes:

| Trouble is, when predators are introduced in the hope they will deal with a
| problem population, you're never certain what they'll actually choose to
| eat.

In the case of the most relevant ones, lynx and wolves, we have a
pretty good idea. The former are unlikely to harm anything that
is endangered - and probably wouldn't even kill many cats, which
many people would regret.

| Interestingly, the population of Roe Deer is said to have plummeted when it
| lost Royal protection status back in the middle ages, from which I'd guess
| it used to be effectively kept in check by hungry commoners. So I'd have to
| add changes in dietary preferences (or a reduction in persecution, depending
| on your POV)to my list of possible human contributory 'causes'.

And it exploded when people no longer walked through fields with
guns and dogs, and dogs were not allowed to roam at night.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.