Old 12-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Sacha

On 12/4/05 1:51 pm, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Mike Lyle" writes:

| As a matter of interest, and without any critical intent, why do some
| people like to keep their messages out of the archive? Nothing much I
| say is worth looking up, but I don't feel a particular need to
| suppress my remarks. Is it just privacy, or is there some other
| advantage I haven't thought of?

It clearly isn't privacy, as posts are not private. It is used by
trolls to prevent people pointing out their inconsistencies, but I
don't know of another use.

In the past and not on this group, I have a lot of unpleasant experience of
someone who used to dig back into archives, find other peoples' posts, paste
and copy them but with a word or sentence or two tweaked here and there, so
as to alter the meaning totally. Other posters took all this as gospel
truth because they couldn't be bothered to do the same 'research'.

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)