Old 12-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Magwitch" wrote in message
trojan9 muttered:

Hi,

I am going to "do my bit" for the environment, and make sure my new
lawnmower can mulch the grass.

I save lots of time, with no grass collection or disposal, and so.....

Which mulching lawnmowers can you recommend?

I need petrol, with approx 20 inch or so cut.

It MUST last a lifetime - my current model is some 15-20 years old!
I'd like a grassbox option - but rarely intend to use it!

I have seen on the web an husqvana, and honda models but am drawn to
John Deere model JS63 - just trust john deere!

Seriously, though, how on earth can I find our and compare these models
and others - buying a mower is an expense and i do not want to waste
money!

Any experience of JDeere?
http://tinyurl.com/5upob

the husqvana:
http://tinyurl.com/5yjsa

the honda:
http://tinyurl.com/3v48h

We've got a ride on John Deere 350, my husband chose it because it had the
toughest construction e.g. the cutter deck's made of 3 mm pressed steel
and
it has a cast front axle. We have what used to be a field to mow and is
littered with submerged tree stumps, the grass has improved no end with
just
a year's mulching. I'd give it a definite thumbs up.

I have a Snapper ride on (with Briggs & Stratton 12hp 4 stroke engine). It
has exchangeable blades and so can collect or mulch. We have a very large
and sloping garden, which it has coped with well for 6 years. First year I
collected the grass, then ran out of patience, and have mulched ever since,
and the lawn is no different to when I was collecting, but the work is a
hell of a lot easier.
Whatever you get, I think it is worth spending a little extra to get
something robust, as there's nothing more annoying than having machinery
break down, and the grass doesn't stop growing while repairs and spares
proceed in their own time. Always keep a spare drive belt in the cupboard,
together with any other vulnerable parts. Some tyre seal is a good idea too
if, like me, you have a lit of thorns to go over.
Good luck!