Old 12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Jim Lewis

In article 425BD740.6334.17DC4EC@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

In article 425A8FEF.20130.63250A@localhost,
(Jim Lewis) wrote:

Why? Compost tea uses a good deal of heat (in addition to the heat
generated in the making of good garden-type compost) in the process of
making it. It should be free of pathogens as a result.

Compost tea is made using *unheated* water, according to all the
instructions I've seen. It may get warm sitting in the sun, but nowhere
near enough to kill any pathogens.

Well, around here you don't want to hold the bottle for any
length of time after it's been in full sun all day.

If you're referring to the smell, the instructions I found say that you
shouldn't use it if it smells bad; it should smell sweet & earthy. Using
aquarium equipment to keep it aerated supposedly inhibits the growth of the
anaerobic bugs that cause bad smells.

No. The bottle -- assuming it is clear glass -- gets hot!

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++