Old 12-04-2005, 10:32 PM
sue and dave

I'd have a couple of questions for the nursery where you purchased this
tree---

First would be, what are the chill requirements of this particular cultivar
( and is it right for your location)??

Second would be if having such a full crop last year over stressed the tree
so that no fruiting buds were set last fall.

Just 2 pennies.

Sue
Western Maine

"AutoTracer" wrote in message
ink.net...
It is a dwarf and was labeled as appropriate for container growing. No

sign
that the roots have become bound at all. I must need to figure out a more
precise fertalizing schedule.

Oh well, This would not be the first plant to skip a year of flowering

after
coming in from a greenhouse lifestyle. A year of non fruiting will give

it
a chance to increase the canopy which didn't seem to increase at all last
year.

"escape" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 19:11:40 GMT, "AutoTracer"

opined:

Last year I bought a peach tree (I think in march) and it was covered

with
flowers which eventually fell off before the leaves started to grow.

The
tree yielded lots of fruit last fall.

This year the tree has grown lots of leaves but I never saw any

flowers.
Why did the tree fail to bloom this year? What did the nursery do to

get
it
to bloom before I bought it? Am I just being impatient?

The tree is a grafted onto a 4 foot tall standard and is planted in a

half
wine barrel. Watered regularly and only occasionally fertilized with
16-16-16. Spot is plenty sunny and I live in central CA (SF bay area).

your problem is the barrel part. Fruit trees, unless they are dwarf,

need
to be
planted in the ground. You could never provide enough fertilizer in a

container
for it to fruit properly and set.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for yourself or a

friend?