Old 12-04-2005, 11:07 PM
jane

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 22:29:18 +0100, "Scooby Doo"
wrote:

~I want to try my hand at gardening and was thinking of getting an allotment
~and need a little advice.
~
~As I work out of town I'll only really be able to tend to the allotment at
~weekends - what kind of vegetables can I grow whilst only being a weekend
~gardener? If there any good gardening books on weekend gardening I'd be
~grateful.
~
~Thanks
~
This all depends on the state of the plot you acquire. If you can get
hold of a clear plot, then you can cover up most of it with either
weed-suppressing fabric or old woollen hessian-backed carpet, which
will keep the weeds down until you get round to planting it. Even if
it's not a clear plot, the same technique will help to kill off the
weeds until you get round to clearing it!

This will stop it getting worse and running away while you learn on
your feet!

Most folk these days are weekend lottie holders. The big problem for
you if you're away during the week is watering. In summer most of us
are up there every day or every other day near sunset, ferrying cans
to and fro and generally trying to keep everything alive. We rely on
fellow plotholders to water when we have holidays or the occasional
work trip, but as it's tit for tat, nobody minds. If you are away all
of the weeks then you'd not find many volunteers.

In such a case I'd advise setting up a drip watering system! These can
work off raised water butts, so late Sunday say, you'd fill up a butt
or pair of butts, and it would water away for a few days, and you'd
dash up last thing Friday as you got home. I looked into it but so far
haven't got round to it! Though have just wired up my shed to a butt
to help conserve water.

As to veg - anything! Perhaps not the ones which need too much tlc
until you have a watering system. ie don't go for runner beans as they
loathe being dry. French beans cope better. Sweetcorn isn't too bad.
Potatoes can usually be left to get on with it. Cabbages are ok,
though caulis hate checks to growth due to irregular watering so
perhaps not them. Carrots need a reasonable amount - though should
cope between weekend drenchings. I had the best onions ever in 2003
though was watering every flipping night.

Oh and get a half plot first. Don't underestimate the sheer amount of
time an allotment will eat, at least until you've got it under
control. I spent at least two weekends a month on mine at the moment,
preparing, tidying, pruning and planting, and I've had it years...

good luck.

--
jane

Mark Twain