Old 12-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Cerumen

"pat" wrote in message
I am a beginner with a small orchard in a very dry and warm part of
France. The water supply is about 70 m away in a stream and 7 meters
lower.

I need advice on pumps, diesel I understand would be better as there is
no electricity supply anywhere near the orchard? Can pump head mean
two things, the depth from which the pump can pump, and the distance it
can supply?

Pump head means height it will pump to, no normal pump will pump from a
greater depth than about 30 feet although "deep well" non submersible
pumps use a venturi type system at the bottom of a well to do so.
Distance from pump to delivery point horizontally has little effect in
most installations.

--

Chris Thomas
West Cork