Old 13-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Holly in France

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:41:42 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message
from Holly in France contains these words:

Hi all,
Please does anyone know if transplanting bluebells at this time of year, in
the green so to speak, is likely to be successful?

Yes, it's a fast, reliable and easy way to establish them.

Before collecting I would just check they are endymion non-scriptus,
(the scented, graceful native "English" bluebell, and not the stiff,
scentless e. hispanicus, the Spanish one. Someone who knew I was
establishing a bluebell wood once kindly donated a bag of "bluebells"
from his garden, which all turned out to be the spanish sort next
spring :-(

The leaves and flowers are easy to distinguish if you have a book.

Thanks Janet, and also Mike. I'm sure I will have a book with them in
somewhere but don't have time to look in it, I'm just about to leave! I'll
grab a couple of books and take them with me. I have only ever seen the
scented bluebells around here, and there are plenty of them (lots of
cowslips, ladysmock and wild orchids out atm too), I doubt very much they
are the Spanish ones.

--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne