Old 13-04-2005, 12:15 PM
Spider

Holly in France wrote in message
news
Hi all,
Please does anyone know if transplanting bluebells at this time of year,

in
the green so to speak, is likely to be successful? Please note I am NOT
proposing to pinch them from the wild! My husband has a job to clear a
woodland track and re-build it as a driveway (current access is very steep
and on a bend, local Mairie are in agreement etc) The track is full of
bluebells, and whilst I'm sure some will survive being scraped off with

the
topsoil and put to one side, I would like them to increase more rapidly in
my woods so thought I might rescue some. Is it worth a try??
TIA
--
Holly, in France
Holiday home in Dordogne

Hi Holly,

Yes, planting 'in the green' is really the only way to transplant bluebells.
Replant them immediately so that they don't dry out. It may also be worth
collecting seed. This is because bluebells have contractile roots and pull
themselves deeply into the earth; if the bulbs are deeper than the bucket on
the digger, then only the leafy growth will be excavated and the bulbs left
behind.

Spider