Old 10-02-2003, 07:55 PM
Penny Morgan

Default Cilantro

Cilantro is a cool season herb. I think they grow best in the 50-60's
temps. I'm in zone 7b, North Carolina, and I planted a couple of cilantro
plants in my garden one spring. Well, they grew quickly and started bolting
(going to flower-seed) because our temps heat up quickly in April with upper
90's throughout the summer. I left the plants and let them develop seed
pods. The following spring I had lots of babies sprouting up all over the
place. I cut and cut while the weather was cool. I used pint sized freezer
containers and froze the chopped cilantro in blocks of water. During the
summer when I needed cilantro for a recipe, I would let the block of ice
melt into a metal strainer. I had my cilantro in 1/2 day sun in the
beginning and when babies starting popping up, I transplanted a bunch in
between my leaf lettuce in full sun. They were gorgeous and full.

Hope this helps.

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina
"Snowfeet1" wrote in message
Does anyone have any luck growing this in the house? I live in Texas and

even
if I plant it outside, the heat dries it up pretty fast. Other herbs last

all
summer, but not cilantro.