Old 13-04-2005, 07:01 PM
Jim Lewis

Bill Valvanis emailed me privately and suggested it may be a problem
with dryness, which I suppose it could be although I put it away
watered and have been watering since it's been out.

This morning I took it out of its bonsai pot and put it in a terracotta
azalea pot. No root pruning, just transferred it into a somewhat larger
pot and added fresh soil to make up the difference. I carefully brushed
off as much of the crispy foliage as I could and found there appears to
be some live foliage still, so I thought this might help get light and
ventilation to the little that's left. I now have the tree in partial
shade, with some morning sun. Is there any more I can do besides wait?

I was wondering, because it doesn't _sound_ like how spider
mites work. Have you FOUND any? The ol' white paper test?

You say you "put it away watered." Do I infer from that that
there was no additional water all winter? Dormant trees --
especially dormant trees with evergreen foliage -- do not
completely stop respiring in their "off season." Respiration
will pull water from the soil (if it can).

And if the soil feezes, the freeze further dries out the soil in
addition to the fact that the tree can't pull water from frozen
soil.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who has
never seen a spider mite (knock on wood!)

++++Sponsored, in part, by Edmund Castillo++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++