Old 14-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Victoria Clare

"Mark" wrote in
:

I was hoping I could get some hardy grass seed down & together with
some fertiliser maybe the grass would come back, especially if he
starts to "cock his leg" around the edge of the garden or better still
in his toilet area.

I would suggest, not fertilizer. Just keep it well watered.

The reason the grass is dying off is that it is being over-fertilised
because the urine is too strong for it.

If you add more fertiliser, it will just delay the recovery, whereas if you
water well, it will wash away some of the excess and leave you with a
particularly fertile area instead.

Re the tearing up thing - take a good look at the lawn and see if there are
one or two areas that are worst hit (eg by the gate, perhaps?) If you can
put down a paving slab or bark or something there, it will take the
pressure off and damage to the rest of the lawn will be less noticeable,
because you've got rid of the really bad bit.

Victoria
--
gardening on a north-facing hill
in South-East Cornwall