Old 14-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Kay

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article , Kay
writes:
| In article ], Chris ]
| writes
| Why do plant pots have a wide bit at the top?
| Why not just a straight taper from the bottom to the top?
|
| It is very difficult to empty a plant out of a straight pot.

He said a straight taper. I.e. a simple truncated cone. Many
older plant pots were like that. Modern ones have a step at
the top where the cone is effectively glued onto a slightly
larger one, causing a lip outside and a wider bit inside.

OK - reading too fast.
Isn't it so that you can make the pot out of thinner plastic? You have a
strong rim, then you don't need the rest of it so strong.

Doesn't explain why modern clay pots have the same rim! Older ones are
often rimless.
--
Kay