Old 14-04-2005, 07:29 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article . com,
wrote:
I have an east-facing wall at the end of my garden which is about five
metres wide and two metres tall. On top of it is a metal fence of a
sort of grill construction which is itself another two metres high.
Behind all that is a hideous block of flats resembling a gulag. The
plan is to grow some climbers to block the view through the fence. I'm
going to put some vine eyes and wires onto the wall and I think the
fence should be ideal to take climbers. The only question is what to
plant.

I'm reckoning on planting five climbers along the base of the wall. Is
it OK to mix and match? I was thinking of two plants of the same sort
of ivy (ideally fast-growing and variagated) to provide year-round
screening, unless you have any other suggestions for evergreens? Then
perhaps two climbing roses and a honeysuckle for a bit of interest.

In principle, it sounds excellent - but your choice of climbers is
not ideal (and nor is Russian vine). You really, really do not want
to have to trim anything that climbs to the top and starts causing
a nuisance. And the really vigorous climbers will reach the top
and start coming down again.

So.

No roses unless you are ABSOLUTELY certain that they will not take
anyone's eyes out as they do that. I exempt Zepherine Drouhin and
other thornless roses, but they don't cling so will need tying back,
which is a pain.

Otherwise, it depends a lot on how good the soil is, how deep, what
type it is and whether there is plenty of light. If you are all
right with that (i.e. deep well-draining soil, not necessarily rich
and decent light) and don't live too far north, you are fine.

Campsis x taglibuana "Mme Galen" is the orange-red trumpet you
see in Brittany, and should do (though it prefers more sun). It
is like ivy in that it climbs straight up while attached to a wall
and flowers when it waggles loose, so is self-limiting. I can
recommend it.

Clematis armandii is evergreen and fairly hardy, vigorous, and has
scented white or pink flowers in spring. A definite.

Clematis tangutica/orientalis is good but will look ragged in
winter. There are lots of other good deciduous clematis, too, with
the same characteristics (if not quite so disreputable off-season).

There are lots of honeysuckles that would do, almost all deciduous,
though L. henryi is evergreen and fairly hardy (and unexciting).
L. japonica is evergreen in warm winter areas. Indeed, there are
few that WON'T do.

Don't bother with Akebia quinata or any jasmines (I can't speak
for Trachelospermum asiaticum in warm winter areas).

Wisteria will take some time to get there, but would be spectacular,
and will get out of control :-)

There is also H. petiolaris and a good many hydrangea relatives,
that cling to walls, plus vines (including Virginia creeper etc.).

And, initially, don't forget to grow runner beans, morning glory
and Thunbergia alata (all annuals) :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.