Old 14-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Kay

In article . com,
writes
I have an east-facing wall at the end of my garden which is about five
metres wide and two metres tall. On top of it is a metal fence of a
sort of grill construction which is itself another two metres high.
Behind all that is a hideous block of flats resembling a gulag. The
plan is to grow some climbers to block the view through the fence. I'm
going to put some vine eyes and wires onto the wall and I think the
fence should be ideal to take climbers. The only question is what to
plant.

I'm reckoning on planting five climbers along the base of the wall. Is
it OK to mix and match? I was thinking of two plants of the same sort
of ivy (ideally fast-growing and variagated) to provide year-round
screening, unless you have any other suggestions for evergreens? Then
perhaps two climbing roses and a honeysuckle for a bit of interest.
What do you think?

The ivies will be far more vigorous than the roses and honeysuckle and I
think would overwhelm them. I would stick to the roses and honeysuckle,
and try planting something eye-catching elsewhere in the garden to draw
the focus away from the trellis towards the other feature - this is
often more effective than trying to blot out the eyesore.

There is an evergreen clematis - C armandii. A bit tender - it depends
where you are.

--
Kay