Old 14-04-2005, 11:10 PM

Cindy,

I've never liked 'Bavarian' Sour Kraut. It is sweet. Same goes for
'Bavarian' buttermilk.

When I was a kid, and did not like anything strong... be it onions,
garlic... whatever... my maternal grandmother got me to try some sour kraut
that had fermented only about half the full term. That was perfect for me;
so, from then on, she would put up a few small jars and put my name on them.

Just as with my preference for some of the cheaper brands of red hot sauce
(as I was telling Rusty), I like some of the cheaper brands of sour kraut.
The less expensive hot sauce has more flavor. The less expensive sour kraut
has less.

But that's just one man's preference... not a judgment as to which is better
for anyone else.

One of my favorite dishes is country pork ribs, sautéed done and then
simmered in sour kraut and onions with a little white pepper. (Some sour
kraut brands already are salty, and no salt is needed. If they have little
salt, a little bit
is needed.

I like these over mashed Irish potatoes.

(Unlike my German friends, I do NOT like the cubed Irish potatoes cooked
with vinegar added. It toughens them.
But, once again, no judgment rendered. To each his own preferences.)

"Cindy" wrote in message
My gramma used one of those big old 5-gal. crocks, with a wooden lid. Oh,
the stench if you got too close....sauerkraut was darn good, though.

Cindy