Old 14-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Emrys Davies

"Mike" @ wrote in message
I received some healthy Zinnias from Dobies with instructions to

transfer
the plants to 3.5 inch pots using multipurpose compost etc.

I did this, but now 4 days later the plants now look sorry for

themselves
and have started to wilt and turn brown ! What have I done wrong ?

It appears that the sudden drop in temperature and root disturbance, to
which they have been subjected, has been too much for them.

To clarify what I did:
Placed multipurpose compost in pots, made hole and transferred plants
carefully loosening part of the root before placing in pots.

Cannot undersatand why you loosened part of the root when the idea is to
transfer the plants to bigger pots without causing undue root
disturbance.

Quick watering with (Waterbutt) rainwater.

The water needed to be tepid and certainly not really cold like that in
a waterbutt at this time of year.

Transferred to (unheated) brick garage in front of a window that

doesn't get
direct sun.

You needed to maintain a temperature of about 55°F. A three-way
thermometer will tell you how cold it got in the garage during the
coldest part of the night, particularly near to a window.

Best place is in the kitchen during the night; at least that is what I
do and then I use a porch during the day.

Any info would be appreciated as I am about to transfer some healthy

Dahlias
into pots and don't want similar happening.
Thanks.

Mike.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.