Old 15-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Magwitch

clokemg muttered:

I am planning to put a pond in the garden. After digging out the
foundations for a large shed I have decided that I want to hire a
digger to create the hole. Does anyone have any advice on the
following....

1. Good websites on creating a wildlife friendly pool.

I got my pond plants from these people about 2 years ago and now I'd say I
have a fully functional natural pond habitat:

https://secure4.worldsites.net/wetla...merchant.ihtml

However, I'd advise putting in a liner, we trusted our clay and the first
year it was fine but over the following winter the frost developed cracks
and the water level fluctuates more than I'd like.

2. Where to hire a digger from? (I live near the NEC near Birmingham)

Yellow pages? In Suffolk they cost about £60 per day.

3. Are they easy/able to be operated yourself or is it best to hire a
man to go with it.

You'd only need a mini digger and I think it takes about a day or two to get
really competent. Just make sure they supervise you when they deliver and
ask them about anything you aren't sure about. Try not to overload the
bucket and don't go too deep!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark (First year gardener with big plans!)