Old 15-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Newt Newt is offline
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I'm looking for suggestions to plant in a roadway center island that has no built-in irrigation. They'd have to be drought-tolerant plants, probably native to my Northern California (Zone 9) locale. Initially, watering would only occasionally be provided by a nearby neighbor until the plants get established enough to (hopefully) survive on their own, with whatever Mother Nature offers them. Low-maintenance would also be a requirement.

Currently, sandy soil, full sun, probably four feet by 12 feet. We'd probably prefer relatively low-growing plants, say under two or three feet. No big shrubs or anything. Daylilies would be an example of the type of thing we'd like to go for. I'm not sure how drought-tolerant they are, but they're certainly easy to grow and put on a nice show.

Suggestions appreciated.

-Fleemo

Hi Fleemo,

How about sage, penstemon, manzanita, california poppy, sand verbena, aquilegia, arabis, aster, desert marigold, woolly Indian panitbrush, coreopsis, delphinium, monkey flower - Diplacus, erigeron, California pearly everlasting, California goldenrod, red California fuchsia.
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/pla...ve_plant_A.htm

http://www.mynativeplants.com/search_options.php
http://www.laspilitas.com/plants/california_plants.html
http://www.laspilitas.com/advanced/advanced.htm
http://www.laspilitas.com/groups/man...Manzanita.html

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.