Old 15-04-2005, 05:35 AM
mleblanca

Currently, sandy soil, full sun, probably four feet by 12 feet. We'd
probably prefer relatively low-growing plants, say under two or three

feet. No big shrubs or anything. Daylilies would be an example of
the
type of thing we'd like to go for. I'm not sure how drought-tolerant

they are, but they're certainly easy to grow and put on a nice show.

-Fleemo

The soil sounds good for natives, (Sacramento clay would need drainage
improvement.)
Some ideas:
Globe mallow (Sphaeralcea)
Penstemon many native species, P. heterophyllus is good and available
as 'Blue Bedder'
California buckwheat (Eriogonum fasciculatum)
Salvia: Cleveland sage, Brandegees sage, S.dorrii Blue sage, Mexican
bush sage (not native)
Deer grass (Muhlenbergia rigens)
Fremontia (Fremontodendron californicum)
both Manzantia and Ceanothus have small to mid size varieties.
Zauschneria: Hummingbird Fuchsia
Erigeron: Seaside daisy, spreading daisy or Santa Barbara daisy
I think all of these would be green all year and most have flowers
And , not native, but this is a good place for Mexican Evening
Primrose, which can be terribly invasive in a garden, but good in a
contained space.
(Daylilies would never make it in full sun with no water)

PLEASE, do not use broom; an incredibly invasive weed!
( sorry Stephen, but it's on the noxious weed list here in N. Calif.
The CA Native Plant Society has "Broom Bashing " parties, where we
declare war on it!!)

Feel free to ask me more about any of these if you wish
Emilie
Norcal