Old 15-04-2005, 08:21 AM
Duncan Heenan

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote in message
Kay wrote:
In article , andrewpreece
writes

Virginia Creeper will provide a fast, dense solution, with a
spectacular red colour in autumn, and is self-clinging. It is not
evergreen though, and leaves
dead twiggy bits on your wall in the autumn when it dies back. There
are roses
that are very vigorous (e.g. Kiftsgate and about 4 or 5 others, all
with cream
or white flowers ).

Kiftsgate is *far* too vigorous for a garden wall. It needs a 30 ft
mature tree. Virginia creeper equally - it will be just far too much
of a maintenance problem.

I agree, Kay, we have it growing up the side of the house, under the
carport and it's a nightmare to keep in check. If it was me, I'd go for a
clematis (but, then, they are one of my favourites - I have a gorgeous
deep purple with pink stripes down at the bottom of the garden, but I
forget what it's called...)

If it's sheltered and sunny, why not plant a kiwi fruit, and end up with
something to eat as well as having a vigorous (rampant!) wall cover?