Old 15-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" writes:

| If by "kiwi fruit" you mean a Chinese gooseberry (/Actinidia chinensis/) -
| no, no, no and thrice times no! Apart from the fact the cats love it, it
| looks like something from a John Wyndham novel and is hell to keep under
| control - mine grows at a mile a minute - almost literally. And it produces
| no fruit )probably because I only have the one plant - you need both a male
| and a female for it to fruit). I've had mine against a south-facing wall for
| five years and all it's done in that time is grown - both width and height
| wise - it's a horrible thing. I only keep it because the cats like to play
| with it.

Some of us LIKE things that look like things from John Wyndham novels!

Yes, it is dioecious. The OP has a 5 metre x 4 metre area to cover,
so it isn't out of the question. But I agree that it isn't ideal.
I believe that the other, more decorative and less edible, actinidas
are less aggressive.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.