Old 15-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Spider

Mike @ wrote in message ...
I received some healthy Zinnias from Dobies with instructions to transfer
the plants to 3.5 inch pots using multipurpose compost etc.

I did this, but now 4 days later the plants now look sorry for themselves
and have started to wilt and turn brown ! What have I done wrong ?

To clarify what I did:
Placed multipurpose compost in pots, made hole and transferred plants
carefully loosening part of the root before placing in pots.

Quick watering with (Waterbutt) rainwater.

Transferred to (unheated) brick garage in front of a window that doesn't

get
direct sun.

Any info would be appreciated as I am about to transfer some healthy

Dahlias
into pots and don't want similar happening.
Thanks.

Mike.

Hi Mike,

It is not a good idea to use waterbutt water for seedlings and young plants,
as it contains all manner of bacteria and germs - as could a
less-than-scrupulously-clean plant pot. Although your garage window may not
have offered enough light, I doubt this would have killed your plants; they
would simply have become etoliated.

I hope you have much more success with your Dahlias. Watering with tepid
tap water would help. Use a clean jug, too, not some festering can that's
been breeding malicious microbes for the past few weeks. Save your precious
waterbutt water for border plants and acid-lovers.

Spider