Old 15-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Kay

In article , Magwitch writes

We piled it up into a banked plateau overlooking the pond which has (a year
later) grassed up nicely. We'll probably build a sort of summer house or
arbour on it when we can afford it. If the OP wishes to do this move the
pond forward a bit to make room.

Also be brave and make the pond as big as possible - what looks like a huge
scar in the ground when empty, looks a lot smaller when it's filled with
water and has plants growing in and around it.

Remember the advice to have at least half the surface covered by water
lilies or other plants with surface leaves, to cut down on the blanket
weed nuisance - think of the area of clear water you'd like and make the
pond at least twice that big ;-)

For wildlife - if you mean amphibians etc - avoid any fish longer than
about an inch which have any eat eating tendencies. Sticklebacks are OK,
tench are largely vegetarian but not often seen as they grub around the
bottom.

To attract amphibians, you need a fair bit of weed (especially for
newts), at least one sloping bank that they can climb out of easily,
adjacent to moist vegetation or more than lawn length grass. They'll
spend most of the year on land, so what's around the pond is as
important as what's in it.
--
Kay