Old 15-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Sacha

On 15/4/05 15:33, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| If the OP can get hold
| of Holboellia, that's evergreen and scented and depending on where he
lives,
| hardy down to -5 or a little lower.

Mine takes -8 without flinching, but it loses its buds every year
because of late frosts. The shoots regrow, but the flowers don't.
My guess is that, as a non-flowering plant, it might be able to
take quite a lot lower. As a flowering one, I doubt that it could
handle even -5 after (say) January.

Ours seems okay with -5 or -6 and we get most frosts in January. But maybe
position has a lot to do with it. It's on a north facing trellis but
alongside a path with a large greenhouse either side of it, so there must be
a fair degree of shelter.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)