Old 16-04-2005, 12:46 AM
David J Bockman

Prep is everything, as is aftercare (I know, I just delineated 200% of
something). The ground should be raked free of all debris and as smooth as
possible... every rock and pebble you pick up now will be one that doesn't
heave through the sod later. Smoooooooth.

After the sod is layed, it must be thoroughly watered, both to keep the
rootsystem hydrated as well as to help meld the sod layer to the ground
layer. It should be totally saturated, and kept quite moist for several
weeks afterwards. Of course, do not step on it for at least 3 weeks, longer
if you can avoid doing so. Don't cut it for that length of time as well, and
when you do finally cut it, leave it as long as possible (highest setting on
mower) for the rest of the season.

Dave

"jeffrey lohn" wrote in message
Would greatly appreciate any suggestions regarding laying sod-- and
maintenance after it's put down.
we are sodding a tiny urban(NYC) back yard area -- only about 12 x 15
feet. area gets sun for apprx 1/2 day.
we just bought the sod-- nursery said it was a kind of "sun/shade"
variety.

Help make our thumbs green