Old 16-04-2005, 01:24 AM
Warren

David J Bockman wrote:
Prep is everything, as is aftercare (I know, I just delineated 200% of
something).

But you're giving 110%, so it's okay.

The ground should be raked free of all debris and as smooth as
possible... every rock and pebble you pick up now will be one that doesn't
heave through the sod later. Smoooooooth.

After the sod is layed, it must be thoroughly watered, both to keep the
rootsystem hydrated as well as to help meld the sod layer to the ground
layer. It should be totally saturated, and kept quite moist for several
weeks afterwards. Of course, do not step on it for at least 3 weeks,
longer
if you can avoid doing so. Don't cut it for that length of time as well,
and
when you do finally cut it, leave it as long as possible (highest setting
on
mower) for the rest of the season.

Also, when you lay the sod, butt the long edges as tightly as you can
against each other. Make it so tight that you'd think it wouldn't fit. If
you don't, the edges will curl-up, and dry out. Stagger the short seams,
just like a brick wall, and butt them closely, too.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Care for your landscape with Black and Decker cordless tools
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/blac...ker/index.html