Old 16-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Elaine T

~Roy~ wrote:
Yes, yuou can still buy sheet lead......pretty pricey........it sells
for over a buck a pound at scrap prices and it does not take much to
make apound of it. hate to see what it would cost new. Lead when
exposed to air and water makes an oxide filom which is pretty darn
tough. Normally its shiney silver, and it becomes dark with this oxide
coating on it. It should not hurt the fish any.......The leeching
problem with lead is mainly associated with water temps that are high,
such as in hot water lines, not cold water lines.

Copper also will not hurt the fish, as is commonly believed, up to a
certain point that is.........PH has a lot to do with copper and
problems with fish......As long as your PH is at a certain level
copper is safe, over that range and its toxic.......just to iffy to
take a chance with. I don't remember if it needs high or low ph to
become toxic, but for me its too expensive to use anyhow.

Actually, even low levels of copper build up in fishes tissues.
Aquarists used to put copper pennies in their tanks to keep parasite and
snail levels low. It shortened the lifespans of the fish. I wouldn't
build a pond out of copper.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__